Our School's COVID-19 plan
Welcome to our COVID response page. Below you'll find all the information you need about how Independence High School is changing the way we operate to reduce the risk of COVID infection. We are doing everything we can to ensure a safe school environment for students, teachers, and their families.
Please check back regularly, as we will update the information here as conditions change.
Last updated: September 10, 2020
Blended Learning Schedule for Fall 2020
We are starting the school year with a blended learning schedule. That means that your child will be in school some days and working from home some days.
- Students participating in blended learning will participate remotely whenever not in-person Monday-Friday.
- Students must find out which cohort they are in (either Group A, B, or C) and follow the appropriate schedule.
- Students needing extra academic support can meet with their teachers during office hours, which will be daily from 2:00 - 2:20 p.m.
- If you would prefer a 100% online learning schedule for your child this year, we are offering that as an option. You may switch to that option at any time. Contact Mr. Wisell at BWisell@schools.nyc.gov or (212) 262-8067 ext. 4283 to enroll by THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 17th.
Your Responsibilities While in the Building:
We have put safety procedures in place to keep our students and staff healthy.
- Masks: Masks must be worn at all times by all adults (teachers, staff, and visitors) and by students while in the building. If your child is unable to wear a mask for medical reasons, they must have an excuse signed by a doctor on file in the office.
- Handwashing: Students and staff are expected to wash hands thoroughly before and after eating, after using the bathroom, if exposed to bodily fluids (like saliva or a sneeze) and at other times throughout the day.
- Visiting our school: We are limiting visitors to the school during this time.
- Traffic flow in hallways and common areas: Hallways are marked with arrows and will be one-way only. Please keep at least 3 ft. distance between yourself and others.
- Illness: Students and staff exhibiting signs of illness or having a fever of greater than 99.9 must stay home. If you or someone you know has COVID-19 (or shows symptoms of COVID-19 such as coughing or fever) and you have come in contact with them, it is required that you stay home or at a designated care facility for a minimum of 14 days. Please contact us via phone or email as soon as possible.
Safety Precautions Taken By Our School:
In addition to asking everyone to wear masks, wash hands, and maintain social distancing, our school has taken several steps to improve the safety of our staff and students. These steps have been taken to reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19 and other illnesses.
- Changes in class sizes: All classes have been reduced in size to maintain social distancing and enable six feet to be kept between students.
- Increases in cleaning frequency: The custodial staff will be increasing the amount of times that they wipe down surfaces.
- Hand Sanitation: All bathrooms have been stocked with extra soap for frequent hand washing. In addition, we have provided teachers with hand sanitizer for the classroom.